Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapter 24 of your textbook and the Walmart Case Study.
downloadYou will also need to access Walmartâ€s most recent annual report from Walmartâ€s Financial Information (Links to an external site.) page. You can use the annual report to gather additional international data.
In this final project you will continue to build on your Walmart Case study work from previous courses. Imagine that you have been hired as a data analyst for Walmart. The Walmart executive team has asked you to gather data that will assist them in determining if this foreign market is a viable option for a Walmart expansion. You will continue to research the same region you have chosen to expand to in your previous MBA courses. Please refer to the Walmart Case StudyLinks to an external site. for the list of available regions.
Your Final Project will be comprised of two parts. In Part 1 you will be required to gather and analyze data for your case study paper. In Part 2 you will need to create a 3- to 5-minute video presentation using the data gathered in your paper to make your recommendation to the Walmart executive team.
Walmart Expansion Analysis Final Project, Part 1: Walmart Case Study Paper (17 points)
You have been tasked with collecting and analyzing key data points that will assist Walmart in their decision to expand to your chosen region. In Part I, you will gather data from various sources, use the tools learned throughout this class to analyze data, and determine the best way to present this data to the Walmart executive team. Finally, you will make a recommendation on whether or not this foreign market is a viable option for a Walmart expansion.
Note: It is OK to not recommend an expansion to your chosen region. Just be sure to justify your recommendation.
Step 1: Data CollectionAs a data analyst, you will be required to locate data from multiple sources. It is recommended that you use the Mergent Database in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library, the Business Insight Global database in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library, and Walmartâ€s latest Annual Report to begin your data collection. These databases should serve as a guide for your research. You are expected to identify additional data sources that will be useful in your analysis.
Accessing Mergent database:You can locate current Walmart data from the Mergent database in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. Review the Mergent Online: Accessing Mergent Online (Links to an external site.) for instructions on accessing and searching the database. Search for â€œWalmartâ€ and select â€œWalmart Inc.â€
Navigate to the Company Financials tab. You may want to review the Income Statement for items such as net sales, operating expenses, projected income, etc. It is recommended that you review data from at least the last five years.
If you wish, you can export this data into an excel document by selecting the â€œDownloadâ€ option in the upper right corner of the Mergent page.
Accessing Business Insights: Global database:To access the Business Insight Global database, access the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and select to the â€œFind Articles and Moreâ€. Next, select â€œDatabases A-Zâ€, then find the â€œBusiness Insights: Globalâ€ database. In the search bar, type â€œWalmartâ€, ensuring the â€œCompanyâ€ tab is selected from the dropdown menu. You may want to review items such as gross profit, interest expense, net income, etc.
Business Insights: Global also has some information on Walmart in particular countries that may be useful in your research. To search, type Walmart or Wal-mart into the search bar at the top of the Business Insights: Global homepage, ensuring â€œCountryâ€ is selected from the drop-down menu. This will provide results that cover Walmart in areas such as China, Brazil, Chile, India, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and Canada. You may wish to gather data for countries that are closest to your region for comparison.
Accessing Walmartâ€s annual report:You can find Walmartâ€s most recent annual report on their Financial Information (Links to an external site.) page. You can use the annual report to gather additional international data.
Here are some examples of data that may be useful to an analyst:
- Under â€œItem 1: Business,â€ in the â€œWalmart International Segment,â€ you may wish to gather data for retail unit count and retail square feet for all available fiscal years for the country or continent closest to your region. For example, if you are looking to expand in Egypt, you will use the data for Africa.
- In the â€œItem 2: Propertiesâ€ section of the report, you may wish to gather data for the owned and leased properties for the country or continent closest to your region.
- In the â€œResults of Operationsâ€ section of the report, look for â€œWalmart International Segment.â€ You may wish to gather data for net sales, operating income, and unit counts at period end for all available fiscal years.
You will likely need to gather more data to make your case. You are encouraged to seek out additional data points that will assist you in your analysis. Other data points you may want to consider include, but are not limited to
- Gross national income
- Population and demographic data
- Key economic metrics, including current economic status, inflation, etc.
- Labor market data, including average wage, unemployment rate, cost of living, etc.
- Market environment
- Foreign exchange
- Credit environment outlook
Here are some suggested databases to get you started. These databases may not have all the information you need to make a full evaluation. You may need to conduct your own research to find useful databases that house the data you need to conduct your analysis.
- International Labour Organizationâ€s ILOSTAT (Links to an external site.)
- The World Bankâ€s Doing Business Data (Links to an external site.)
- The World Bankâ€s DataBank (Links to an external site.)
Step 2: Analyzing the DataNow that you have gathered your data, you will need to determine the best way to compile the data for analysis. Using the tools and skills you have learned in this course, create graphs and tables that will assist you in making sense of the data. You will use these tables to assess the data and support your analysis.
In your paper,
- Summarize the background of the country or region, including what makes it unique and why it is a viable option for Walmart expansion.
- Assess the data sets and include any charts or graphs used in your evaluation.
- Measure outlook sales, interest, and other trends to make a determination on the regional outlook. Is the outlook improving, remaining stable, or deteriorating? For example, how will this expansion affect sales trends, interest cost trends, etc.?
- Calculate whether Walmart will have favorable or unfavorable currency translation adjustments. For example, how strong is the countryâ€s currency against the U.S. dollar?
- Create revenue projections and sales projections based on the data. Consider the currently translation adjustments in your projection.
- Propose a recommended course of action based on your interpretation of the data.
The Walmart Expansion Analysis Final Project, Part 1: Walmart Case Study Paper
- Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title page, reference pages, or tables and graphs) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Centerâ€s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Studentâ€s name
- Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must use at least five applicable industry and company sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Centerâ€s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
For this assignment, you are required to upload your work to your ePortfolio in addition to Waypoint. Learn more about Folio, the ePortfolio tool, by viewing the Folio Quick Start Guide (Links to an external site.).
Submit your file to Waypoint using the button below. Then paste the link to your Folio page as a comment in Waypoint so your instructor can access your ePortfolio.
Proceed to the Week 6 – Final Project Part 2 to submit your video presentation.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate Part 1 and Part 2 of your assignment.
The post The Walmart Expansion Analysis Final Project, Part 1: Walmart Case Study Paper appeared first on nursing writers.