This assignment reinforces information in your textbook and concepts presented in this unit. Your responses should be thorough, well-conceived college-level responses that are grammatically correct. Please write your answers in complete sentences. Justify your responses with facts and details from at least one outside source, your textbook, and your opinions. Please cite your source using APA format and include the URL(s) as applicable.
Research the case of Mary Mallon, also known as Typhoid Mary. This case is a classic method of learning the epidemiologic aspects of infectious disease and the associated social policies, health regulations and laws that resulted in the Salmonella Typhi outbreaks in the early 1900s. Respond to the questions below. Be sure to provide comprehensive answers.
- What are the signs and symptoms of Salmonella Typhi (Typhoid Fever)?
- What is the annual incidence of Typhoid Fever in the United States?
- What was the mechanism of disease transmission between Mary Mallon and those who became ill?
- How would you describe the Epidemiology Triangle in Maryâ€s case?
- What strategies did the society of the early 1900s use to prevent Mary from spreading the disease?
- What modern disease prevention strategies could be used to protect against spreading S. Typi by food handlers?
- After learning about Mary Mallon, what is your position on a policy to screen food handlers for infectious diseases, such as Typhoid Fever and Hepatitis A, which can be spread by food? Think carefully about the incidence of foodborne illnesses that would be a community threat, the impact the disease(s) have on the community, the cost of the screening, who will pay for screening and if the strategy will detect enough or prevent enough cases to warrant the public health policy.
A Good 15 minute audio story about the Typhoid Mary story- Recommend you listen
Here is a well told 15 minute story of Typhoid Mary produced by the Radiolab. Don’t be confused by the odd introduction. The producers actually visit the North Brother Island, the site of Mary’s quarantine.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/169882-typhoid-mary/ (Links to an external site.)
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post Typhoid-Mary-Unit-4-Assignment-2-help appeared first on Custom Nursing Help.